As a Florida grad I don’t often like to give FSU credit, but damn if this isn’t smooth.
Erin Andrews is currently vacationing in Italy for a friend’s birthday. On Wednesday she posted a picture Gator Chomping at the Colosseum, along with the caption, “Gator Nation is everywhere.”
The only problem? There’s one specific place where the Gator Nation does not currently reside: the preseason Coaches Poll top 25. But no worries, an FSU fan is here to help her out with a next level troll job.
— Logan Robinson (@LogansTwitty) July 31, 2014
Over the year of 2014, this was one of our more popular posts. It’s of little surprise, given all the parties involved. The Florida Gators are this site’s core fan base; the Florida State Seminoles are the site’s second-largest group. When they start going after each other, look out, man. Toss in Florida alumna Erin Andrews, who can be a very polarizing figure in the media, getting burned by a ‘Nole and we’re really off to the races.
Given that this happened in the offseason, many Gators fans jumped at the fact that the preseason top-25 doesn’t mean anything.
- Justin Dunigan: “When’s the last time the preseason rankings meant anything?”
- Maria Williams: “I never even cared about preseason rankings when we were in the top 3. Don’t care now.”
While some fired off championship stats for Gators versus ‘Noles, and others asked why a Seminole follows a Gator.
- Jeff Roy: “Total National Championships Gators 32 Noles 13 do the math geniuses….It’s not just football or speak up only when your team wins. Where you at before this year? 1999″
- Matt Laugen: “They don’t like to admit it but they follow us everywhere y’all.. It’s pathetic but kinda funny at the same time…
Go Gators!!! Chomp on”
- Chad Mills: :Why is an FSU fan following a GATOR anyway? FSU not have anyone worth following?”
- Chris: “Exactly Justin, thank you! UF has won 33 national team titles across all sports while as FSU has won only 13…only 20 behind the gators but keep hanging on to that one you got last year FSU idiots lol”
Ultimately, with anything Florida-Florida State, it all came back to academics and the merits of the state’s top universities (with a little FAMU smack talk thrown in).
- Chris: “Actually he made some very valid points. Beside FSU fans everyone in the entire country has zero respect for FSU. Don’t even get me started on the community college level education you get by going to Florida’s Shittiest University. UCF and hell even USF now is harder to get into then FSU lol”
- Sarah: “If you truly believe that, I question the lack of education you’ve received thus far. FSU rivals Florida for top school in the state. The only reason we’re held back in the rankings is because the Engineering school is tied to FAMU.”
- RattlerPride: “Please don’t even try to use FAMU as a excuse. You act like all your other majors are so great and I know that to not be the truth. Trust me we don’t want to be tied to FSU neither. The state give us what we ask for and be happy to give you the duces”
Ultimately, in all the bluster, one calm head came through with as close of a middle-ground argument as you’ll find in rivalry talk.
- Rob: “Why do clowns like you resort to hate-filled, name-calling?? What was simply good-spirited rivalry talk is denigrated by your silly rant? Florida had a powerful basketball team and FSU has a powerful football team. Deal with it.”
Three definites in life: deach, taxes, and Florida and Florida State fans disagreeing over everything under the sun.
How emblematic of this rivalry was the young man’s burn? Sound off in the comments!