Alabama and Auburn first met on the gridiron in 1893. The inaugural Iron Bowl was played at Lakeview Park in Birmingham, Alabama, on February 22. That game ended in a 32-22 Auburn victory.
The two have met 77 times (entering 2013), with the Tide holding a 42-34-1 series lead. Alabama owns both the longest winning streak and largest margin of victory – nine games vs. six games, and 55-0 vs. 48-0, respectively.
But what else makes Alabama that much better than Auburn? Following are 10 reasons to solidify the fact that the Tide runs this rivalry.
1. Alabama has won 15 claimed national titles, Auburn has two claimed titles.
2. Auburn goes undefeated and can’t get into the BCS title game (2004 season), Alabama misses the conference title game and still gets voted in (2011 season).
3. Everybody wants ‘Bama.
4. This person.
5. “Roll Tide” is the “Aloha” of the South, “War Eagle” is just confusing.
6. Nick Saban is only Alabama’s second best coach, and he has more championships than Auburn alone (4-2).
7. Alabama is THE state school, Auburn is a town school.
8. Katherine Webb – You know, she left her Auburn pride behind to date Alabama’s star quarterback and roll with the Tide.
9. Coaches leave the NFL to coach Alabama.
10. T-Pain and Early of Squidbillies have collaborated on a song to sing us out of this post.