Total Time: 4 hours, 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 16 (32 fritters)
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (8 slices) cooked and finely crumbled bacon
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Prepare grits according to package directions, using 4 cups milk and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, bacon, onion, and ground pepper; mix until blended and cheese is melted.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly-greased 8-inch square baking dish; chill for at least 4 hours.
- Roll grits mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Whisk together eggs and 1/4 cup water.
- Dip balls in egg wash, then roll in breadcrumbs.
- In a large, deep skillet, pour oil to depth of 3 inches; heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry fritters, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm, with your favorite dressing (we recommend Ranch).