Adding beer to mac and cheese presents a full-bodied flavor, to go along with the ooey-gooey cheesiness. The breadcrumbs provide a delicious crunchy texture, making this mac and cheese a real crowd pleaser.
Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow noodles
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 8 oz milk
- 8 oz amber beer
- 8 oz freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 4 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of nutmeg
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 10 large basil leaves, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil pasta, according to package directions. Subtract about 2 minutes from cook time as pasta will continue to cook in oven.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour to make a roux; cook until bubbly and golden in color (about 2 minutes).
- Add milk and beer into saucepan, whisking constantly until well blended; add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Turn heat down to medium and continue to stir, cooking for 5-6 minutes while mixture thickens.
- Stir in pepper, paprika and nutmeg.
- Drain noodles once they have finished cooking; transfer to a casserole dish.
- Pour cheese mixture over top of noodles, folding gently to combine.
- Top with panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes; garnish with fresh basil.