Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 (3.5 oz) bag of microwave popcorn, plain
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbs water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- Pop the popcorn, following package instructions.
- Coat a large mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer popcorn to the bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and water;
- Bring mixture to a simmer; continue to simmer, stirring often, for about 3 to 5 minutes (until mixture reaches 250 degrees).
- Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla and baking soda.
- Immediately, pour the hot mixture over the popcorn. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the caramel into the popcorn until all of the popcorn is coated.
- Gently stir in the peanuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet; spreading it out.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Gently break up the popcorn.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container (up to 5 days).