Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup canned creamed corn
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the creamed corn, milk, egg and onion; stir until just combined.
- In a large pot with, add enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium-high heat until it reads 350 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Working in three batches, use a soup spoon to drop heaping spoonfuls of batter into the oil.
- Fry, turning occasionally after the hush puppies rise to the top, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove hush puppies using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.