The only positive thing I can say about this week is that the weather is beautiful. On paper, the games are mostly terrible (as far as big-time, ranked match ups). Heck, you may be better off extending the tailgate and watching from the parking lot.
It’s Halloween weekend for football. There’s bound to be all kinds of girls in risqué outfits, bros in body paint, and zombie players/coaches running around campuses.
Bring some pumpkin cider and rum, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, or Southern Tier Pumpking, and enjoy the sites around campus. Things tend to get weird on college campuses this time of year. Have fun!
10) No. 20 Louisville at USF – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 12 p.m. EST, ESPN2/WatchESPN
Louisville is coming off a loss and USF stinks, so this looks like a bad one on paper. It’ll be 80 degrees and sunny during the game, but cool during tailgate. Tampa needs something to cheer for. They’ll rally for the Bulls.
9) Vandy at No. 16 Texas A&M – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 12:21 p.m. EST, Gameplan/ESPN3
Only three more home games to enjoy Johnny Manziel. A&M fans will be up for this one.
8) Penn St. at No. 4 Ohio State – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 8 p.m. EST, ABC
When you’ve won 19 in a row, every game is a double rainbow … especially after tailgating for eight hours.
7) No. 6 Stanford at No. 25 Oregon State – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 10:30 p.m. EST, ESPN/WatchESPN
Weird things happen during late games in Corvallis. When the rest of America has gone to bed, the Beavers crank it like a chainsaw.
6) Miami (OH) at Ohio – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 2 p.m. EST, ESPN3
Battle of the Bricks here, folks. Ohio is the Harvard on the Hocking, and their should be some good trash talking and plenty of Hudepohl flowing.
5) Tennessee at No. 1 Alabama – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 3:30 p.m. EST, CBS
This one was off the board until Tennessee won last week. Now Vols fans have a little swagger in their overalls. These fan bases started early with the ribbings this week. Lots of slow, Southern drawl smack talk at this tailgate.
4) No. 21 South Carolina at No. 5 Missouri – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 7 p.m. EST, ESPN2/WatchESPN
Night game: check. Coming off a big win: check. Top-five ranking: check. Homecoming: check. This will be the most fun tailgate in Columbia all season. Break out the top-shelf moonshine.
3) No. 10 Texas Tech at No. 15 Oklahoma – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 3:30 p.m. EST, FOX
Kliff Kingsbury is a good-looking dude. Oklahomans hate Texans (especially the good looking ones). Expect a lot of good BBQ before this one kicks off.
2) NC State at No 2. Florida State – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 3:30 p.m. EST, ABC/ESPN2
I’m sorry, Alabama, but there aren’t fans more obnoxious than FSU people when their team is good. They may not drive weird cars or paint dogs, but they will get in any person’s face and yell. And chop. And war chant. Now, Bowden is riding into the stadium with over 200 ex-players. Not to mention, the team just beat the hell out of Clemson. If you could go to only one FSU tailgate, this is the one. Get ready to party before, during, and after the game.
1) No. 12 UCLA at No. 3 Oregon – Saturday, Oct. 26 @ 7 p.m. EST, ESPN/WatchESPN
ESPN’s College GameDay will be in Eugene for this one, which means the party starts early. Most students will probably carry the party from Friday night straight onto the GameDay set. Factor in Halloween, and that the Ducks possibly connect with their fans better than any team/school in the nation, and this is going to be a fun time. Bonus points for GameDay, a better-ranked opponent, and nicer campus push Oregon’s tailgate over FSU’s. I can just taste the Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale.