Hush puppies, which are sort of like cornmeal fritters, are a Southern staple. Traditionally, they are served along side of fried chicken or fish, or with any barbecued meat.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup canned creamed corn
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the creamed corn, milk, egg and onion; stir until just combined.
- In a large pot with, add enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium-high heat until it reads 350 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
- Working in three batches, use a soup spoon to drop heaping spoonfuls of batter into the oil.
- Fry, turning occasionally after the hush puppies rise to the top, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove hush puppies using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm.
The sports editor of the Estevan Mercury was forced to wear embarrassing signs along a busy road after betting the Toronto Maple Leafs would beat the Boston Bruins.
The official preseason watch list for the 2013 Lott IMPACT Trophy has been released. After Manti Te’o won it last year, several big-time names lead the charge for the prize this year.
The nation’s No. 2-overall outside linebacker, Christian Miller, has officially rescinded his commitment to the Florida Gators in order to weigh other options.
The enterprising Johnny Manziel had a long flight home from San Diego to Houston, and he made the most of it by holding a Twitter Q&A on the airplane.
The father of superstar Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III believes his son is way ahead of schedule in terms of rehabbing from his torn ACL.
The mother of Titus Young’s child has managed to get a restraining order on Young following his comments regarding OJ Simpson.