Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Clean mushrooms and separate caps from stems; drain.
- 3. Cook the sausage in frying pan over medium to medium/high heat (season with salt and pepper, to taste).
- 4. Meanwhile, mince the mushroom stem pieces.
- 5. When sausage is mostly cooked through, add the minced stems; continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- 6. Drain off any excess grease from sausage/stem mixture.
- 7. Place cream cheese in medium size bowl; add sausage/stem mixture.
- 8. Mix together using a wooden spoon, until well blended.
- 9. Arrange the caps into a 13×9 (or larger) baking dish.
- 10. (Optional) Melt butter and pour a small amount in the bottom of each cap; brush remaining butter over the top of each cap after filling.
- 11. Fill mushroom caps with the cream cheese/sausage/stem mixture.
- 12. Add just enough water to the baking dish to cover the bottom.
- 13. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and the mushrooms have turned dark.
- 14. Remove filled mushroom caps from baking dish with a slotted spoon; arrange them on a plate.
- 15. Serve warm.