Wow, just wow. Following the recent terrible news in Florida about how a man was literally swallowed alive while sleeping in his home comes another case of the same situation.
Luckily, Mark Mihal, the founder of golfmanna.com, survived being swallowed by an 18-foot sinkhole while walking on a fairway at a course in Waterloo, Illinois.
Apparently, Mihal and a buddy, Mike Peters, were preparing to hit on hole No. 14. Peters took his shot, turned out to chat up Mihal on how it went, but his friend was gone. Peters sprinted over to where Mihal had been standing only to discover his friend buried deep underground.
“I felt the ground start to collapse and it happened so fast that I couldn’t do anything,” Mark said later. “I reached for the ground as I was going down and it gave way, too. It seemed like I was falling for a long time. The real scary part was I didn’t know when I would hit bottom and what I would land on.”
Talk about a worst nightmare situation.
Again, and luckily, Mihal was pulled out of the sinkhole in one piece. He spent 20 excruciatingly long minutes underground and was taken to a hospital to nurse a fairly severe shoulder injury — but no doubt he, all of his friends, and loved ones were counting their blessings.
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) March 12, 2013