Entering Week 17, all but one playoff spot in the AFC have been claimed. Vying for the final slot are four teams: Chargers (8-7), Dolphins (8-7), Ravens (8-7) and Steelers (7-8).
Below is an easy-to-digest look at the individual scenarios that would need to play out for each team to reach the playoffs. Each bullet point represents a different set of events that would propel the team into the postseason.
- A win plus a loss by Baltimore
- A win and a win by San Diego
- A tie and losses by Baltimore and San Diego
- A win plus a loss by Miami
- A win and loss by San Diego
- A loss and losses by Miami, San Diego and Pittsburgh
San Diego Chargers
- A win and losses by Miami and Baltimore
- A tie and losses by Miami and Baltimore
- A win and losses by Baltimore, Miami and San Diego
The Dolphins and Ravens have the easiest path to the playoffs out of the four teams. Baltimore holds the tiebreaker over Miami, however, a three way tie with Miami and San Diego and Baltimore would miss out.
Pittsburgh, by far, needs the most outside help. But never say never, Steelers fans.