Where To Be
Arkansas has a few options when it comes to tailgating. If you are up early enough you can grab any open spot outside the stadium or around campus. You may even be able to get into The Pit just on the north side of the stadium. Baum Stadium, less than a mile south of DWR Stadium, is also a prime spot for tailgaters and RV’s. Another option is The Gardens, which is what we suggest. The Gardens are similar to Ole Miss’s Grove, and provide a great gameday atmosphere. If you arrive early enough you can park for free at nearby Fayetteville High School just to the east of The Gardens, and walk your tailgating items over. The Gardens are on the east side of Razorback Rd, just to the north of W 6th St. If you want to plan way ahead you can rent a Gazebo or Pavilion in The Gardens. There are five gazebos available and each comes with five parking passes located in lot 56. The Pavilion is reserved for larger parties, and comes with 10-12 parking passes in lot 56B.
- Gazebo & Pavilion Information
- To reserve a gameday gazebo in The Gardens, call the UA Marketing Office at 479-575-4412.
- Arrive early, and by early we mean sunrise, to snag up any open spot you see around the stadium or on campus. It’s all first-come-first-serve.
- Fans may begin setting up tents and other tailgating gear at 5 pm prior to game day.
Family Friendly Tailgating
Tailgating Rules & Regulations
- There is a no open container policy on campus, however it is rarely enforced. Just remember to be respectful of the campus and fellow tailgaters around you and you should be fine.
- UA State: “Fans are reminded that drinking in public is against the law and a violation of the University of Arkansas Rules and Regulations. Open display of alcoholic beverage containers is prohibited. In addition, “open bars” during tailgating is a University of Arkansas policy and law violation that will be strictly enforced.”
- Parking privileges will be removed if any underage drinking occurs at a tailgate.
- Glass beverage containers are discouraged.
- Each “tailgating party” is expected to dispose of their own trash and recyclables using the existing waste disposal and recycling units provided for by the University. This includes empty fuel containers. Charcoal must be disposed of properly. Please do not place charcoal or other flammables in trashcans, under trees or leave it in the parking areas.
Designated charcoal receptacles will be placed in certain parking lots surrounding Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium and The Gardens.
- Hooking into, connecting to, or similar use of University utilities and/or television or communication cable services is prohibited.
- Use of generators and other electric generating equipment for tailgates is permitted; however, please take noise considerations into account with your operation of generators and portable sound systems for your fellow tailgaters.
- Propane gas and charcoal grills with covers are permitted; provided, however, that the operator of any grill is responsible for its safe operation as well as for the proper clean up of any ashes. Hot coals may not be placed on the ground and ashes may not be left or dumped on campus property. Depending on environmental and fire risk conditions, the University may prohibit all grilling. Grilling and open flames are prohibited in all University of Arkansas parking garages.
- To ensure the personal safety of campus visitors, only licensed motor vehicles may be used on the streets of the University of Arkansas campus. No non-university ATVs, personal tractors (on or off road), non-licensed utility vehicles, golf carts or any off-road vehicles are allowed anywhere on campus, including, but not limited to roadways, sidewalks and the grounds of the University. The rule of thumb is that only “street legal” vehicles may operate on the streets and roadways on the University of Arkansas campus. The only exceptions are utility vehicles used by the University of Arkansas or local law enforcement and emergency personnel for official purposes.
- A parking pass is only for an automobile regardless of the number of parking passes you have. Cookers, tables and chairs are not allowed to occupy a parking space at any time.
- Tents, awnings, similar items, and tailgating activities of any kind are prohibited on several locations including campus sidewalks, intramural fields, student residential areas and landscape spaces that are not designated as “tailgating space”. Tailgating activity that takes up vacant parking spaces or otherwise interferes with vehicle movement within a parking lot is prohibited. Tailgating around Scholarship parking lots will be limited to scholarship permit holders for that lot. A map indicating designated tailgating locations is included with this policy.
- The University will provide portable toilets at convenient locations around the grounds. Individuals, groups or businesses are prohibited from bringing or arranging the delivery of their own toilets.
- Setting up tents, awnings, and similar equipment may commence at 5 p.m. on the day immediately preceding the game, most typically on Friday for a Saturday game. The items must be taken down and removed by 12 noon on the day immediately following game day, typically Sunday.
- Persons wishing to drop off tailgating supplies in scholarship parking areas are reminded that access to parking lots ends at midnight prior to the game and resumes eight hours (or at the Razorback Foundation’s discretion) before kickoff.
Smoke Free Campus
- Effective July 1, 2008 The University of Arkansas campus is tobacco free. This means no cigarettes, pipes, cigars, dip or chew anywhere on campus and includes no stadium exiting for tobacco use outside the stadium.
- Companies may not issue sample products without being properly licensed by the University. Food, drink, and other items may neither be sold nor given to the general public. Additionally, any promotional activity must be approved in advance by the University of Arkansas Athletic Department’s Marketing/Licensing office.
- Solicitations of any kind within The University of Arkansas facilities or on University grounds are prohibited unless specifically approved by the University. The distribution of flyers or leaflets on parked vehicles is expressly prohibited.
- Political signage that implies endorsement of any political candidate or any political issue may not be displayed nor may political materials be distributed without prior approval by The University of Arkansas.
- Tents must be secured with water ballasts, concrete blocks or similar type anchor weights. Stakes may not be used to anchor any tent or awning. Tents and awnings may not be chained to landscaping or signs.
- Size: 10’ by 10’ is the maximum size permitted without advance written permission from the University’s Facilities Management Department or the Athletics Marketing Office.
- Parking lot: Must be set up in a location that does not take another fan’s parking space or in any way impede pedestrian or vehicle travel lanes.
- Sidewalks: Sidewalks must be left open for pedestrians. Grass area between parking stalls and sidewalks may be used for tailgating.
- Purpose: Tents must be for fan entertainment only and not for commercial purposes. No commercial business or display may be made without prior approval from University of Arkansas Athletics Marketing Office (479 575-4412).
If you have more of the inside scoop, or better suggestions, click here to add it in.
References: University of Arkansas, ArkansasRazorbacks.com