Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium is the football stadium on the campus of the Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. It is the home venue for the university’s football team, nicknamed the Seminoles. The stadium was named for Doak S. Campbell, the president of the university at the time of its construction, and the field was named for legendary head football coach Bobby Bowden. The stadium is part of the University Center complex, a mixed-use facility encompassing university office space, university classrooms, the university’s Visitor’s Center, souvenir store, The University Center Club, as well as skyboxes and press boxes for use during football games. Following the latest expansion in 2003, the stadium has a seating capacity of 82,300, making it the fourteenth largest stadium in the NCAA, the largest football stadium in the ACC and the largest continuous brick structure in the United States. On November 20, 2004 in accordance with an act of state legislation, the stadium and field were renamed Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium. Prior to the start of the 2007 Season a new state of the art sound and public address system was installed. Before the 2008 Seminole Football Home Season two new HD Scoreboards were installed. The main one in the north endzone measures over 100 ft (30 m), the south endzone has a 45-foot (14 m) scoreboard. Six new LED ribbon boards were installed in each of the four corners of the stadium as well as underneath the north scoreboard, over the player entrance and above the entrance used by the Marching Chiefs. The new boards allow for more game stats and more information on other games in addition to improved replay viewing.
The stadium, named after FSU President Doak Campbell, hosted its first game against the Randolph-Macon College Yellowjackets on October 7, 1950 with the Seminoles winning the game 40–7. At that time the facility had a seating capacity of 15,000. Florida State began to play at Centennial Field during the team’s 1947 season and would continue to play there for the following two years (1948 and 1949). Florida State College – FSU predecessor institution – also fielded teams from 1902-1904 (precise location of where games were played is not documented). Doak Campbell Stadium, with its original capacity of 15,000 in 1950, was built at a cost of $250,000. In 1954, the stadium grew to a capacity of 19,000. Six thousand more seats were added in 1961. During the Bill Peterson era (1960–70), the stadium was expanded to 40,500 seats, and it remained at that capacity for the next 14 years. Since that time, the stadium has expanded to 82,300, largely in part to the success of the football team under head coach Bobby Bowden coupled with the ever growing student body. It now is the largest football stadium in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Aesthetically, a brick facade surrounding the stadium matches the architectural design of most of the buildings on the university’s campus. In addition to the obvious recreational uses, The University Center surrounds the stadium and houses many of the university’s offices. The field was officially named Bobby Bowden field on November 20, 2004 as Florida State hosted intrastate rival Florida. The FSU Warchant began during the Auburn game in 1984 and has since spread to be used by fans of the Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs.
References: Wikipedia.org (Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium)