Frank Haith must sit out the first five game of the Missouri Tigers’ basketball season due to his actions while at Miami.
On Tuesday, the NCAA investigation into alleged misconduct taking place at the University of Miami finally came to an end – after more than two years of bumbling. When all was said and done, the football program did not receive any additional bowl bans, but it lost a total of nine scholarships over the next three years.
Further, its basketball coach at the time that booster Nevin Shapiro was paying many people within the athletic department faced punishment as well. That would be Haith. There had been a fear that Mizzou would have to fire him, but instead the NCAA merely suspended him the aforementioned five games.
He told reporters that, while he still denies any wrongdoing, he will not appeal the ruling.
“While I strongly disagree with today’s report, and the inference on how the program was run at the University of Miami, as head basketball coach during that period, I accept responsibility for all actions in and around that program. This has been an excruciating ordeal for my family. An appeal, which would likely drag further into the season, would only prolong what has already been a lengthy and trying period of time for our student-athletes, the University of Missouri and our fans, and it’s time for closure.”
“I’m pleased with the positive working relationship we have with our compliance staff at Mizzou and we will continue our focus in that area as we move forward. I am very humbled and grateful for the support that I have received from the University of Missouri, its leadership and our tremendous fans.”
Check out a portion of the official press release sent out by the Missouri Athletics Communications office. It includes Haith’s statement, as well as one from University Chancellor Brady Deaton and Director of Athletics Mike Aldean. It comes to us courtesy of Austin Kim, Sports Director at ABC17 in Columbia, Missouri.