Hey Gamedayr Nation, Sarah here from FreshFitNHealthy! I was offered the opportunity to team up with Gamedayr and bring a unique, healthy angle to our favorite tailgating treats.
With football season getting underway, I’ll be dropping in occasionally to cut the calories without giving up the flavor.
First up, the ever-popular buffalo chicken dip. This dip is hot and spicy, yet cool and refreshing. Perfect for a hot gameday afternoon. You may have seen similar dips, but I can assure you that they were anything but healthy. But this one IS healthy. And delicious!
Pair it with chips and crackers, or a lot of colorful veggies, decision is up to you. But I promise this will be a hit at any tailgate!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Serves about 12-16
- 8 oz. Low Fat Cream Cheese (could use fat-free)
- 8 oz. Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 6 T Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing (I use this Greek yogurt based one)
- 6T Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken, chopped small (can used canned chicken)
Directions: Combine all ingredients in food processor or high speed blender except for chicken. Blend until smooth. Stir in finely chopped chicken. Store in refrigerator for at least one hour for flavors to absorb. Serve with veggies, chips, crackers, or other desired food.
Greek Yogurt Benefits
1) Help fight tummy fat
2) Contains good-for-you bacteria
3) Loaded with vitamins such as potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, B12 and B5
4) Great recovery after workouts: high source of protein
5) High in calcium
6) Prevents high blood pressure
7) Fights off colds and flus: healthy bacteria fights off the bad and boosts the immune system
8) Protects your teeth: lactic acid in yogurt protects your gums
9) High in protein, about 18-24 grams per serving
Hot Sauce Benefits
1) Low in calories
2) Fires up your metabolism: contains vitamin C and capsaicin, which are shown to rev up your metabolism
3) Keeps you satisfied: a little goes a long way
4) Can better your mood: contains capsaicin, which brings on endorphins and sustains a good mood
1) High in protein
2) Natural anti-depressant: contains amino acid, tryptophan which increases serotonin levels, enhances mood, and decreases stress
3) Prevents bone loss: because of protein content
4) Heart Health: suppresses and controls homocysteine, an amino acid that causes cardiovascular disease
5) Rich in phosphorous: an essential mineral that supports your teeth and bones, as well as kidney, liver, and central nervous system function
6) Rich in selenium: essential mineral involved in metabolic performance (thyroid, hormone, metabolism, and immune function)
7) Boosts metabolism: high in vitamin B6 which encourages enzymes and metabolic cellular reactions
8) Rich in niacin: a B-vitamin that guards against cancer and other forms of genetic change
9) Promotes eye health: high in retinol, alpha and beta-carotene, and lycopene, all derived from vitamin A and vital for healthy eyesight
10) Essential for Tissue Growth: contains riboflavin, which drastically reduces your skin problems and repairs dry or damaged skin.