Two Miami Hurricanes Arrested On Sexual Assault Charges

Miami Hurricanes rising sophomore linebackers JaWand Blue and Alexander Figueroa, both 20 years old, were arrested Tuesday morning after admitting they had nonconsensual sex with a 17-year old girl who had been drugged. The men are not expected to receive bail when they step before a judge, as their crimes have been deemed non-bonable offenses.

Per The Miami Herald:

The report said Blue and Figueroa administered or had knowledge of someone else administering to the victim a narcotic, anesthetic or other intoxicating substance that mentally or physically incapacitated the victim without her prior knowledge or consent. Police said the victim was physically helpless to resist.

On Tuesday, Blue and Figueroa came into Coral Gables police station and admitted to bought the victim drinks and brought her back to Figueroa’s dorm room. They then admitted to performing sexual acts on her without her consent. Figueroa was also charged with having a fake driver’s license.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James responded swiftly to the arrests by dismissing Blue and Figueroa from the football team. The university subsequently barred both men from campus. James released the following statement to the university regarding the events:

“Earlier today, I permanently dismissed Jawand Blue and Alexander Figueroa from the UM football team. The University has also suspended the students from school and barred them from all campus facilities while the University conducts an internal investigation and continues to cooperate with local law enforcement.

Any allegation of a sexual assault is extremely serious, and the University will not tolerate conduct that threatens the sanctity and safety of our students and our campus. We hold all of our students – especially student athletes – to the highest standards of moral conduct.

The University is committed to maintaining a safe campus environment for all.”

University president Donna Shalala also released a statement, in which she emphatically stated the school’s zero-tolerance policy on gender-based crimes.

“The safety and welfare of our students is fundamental to our mission as a university. We have zero tolerance for sexual assault and gender-based violence.

There is no confusion about our responsibility as a university: We will fully and compassionately support the victim of sexual assault. I have spoken to her myself and reassured her of our full support.

We have suspended the men involved, and they have been barred from campus.

Our athletic director has taken firm action ending their involvement in the football program.

We have notified the individuals involved that the university is beginning an investigation immediately, which we expect to conclude quickly and fairly.

We will also continue to cooperate with the police in their ongoing criminal investigation.”

Both men are expected to be in bond court Wednesday morning.