Dick Vitale has now been with ESPN for 35 years. In honor of the anniversary, the network put many of its top stars in front of the camera to give a tribute to Dickie V.
Here are 10 takeaways:
- Vitale has done more for the word awesome than anyone, except maybe Brett Favre or Jeff Gordon.
- Chris Fowler’s Dickie V impersonation sounds like Rodney Dangerfield.
- Stuart Scott still hasn’t gotten over Vitale crowd surfing with the Cameron Crazies.
- Jon Gruden may start referring to himself in the third person as “Jonny G.”
- Bruce Pearl absolutely nails his impression. ESPN could sub him in anytime Vitale needs a rest.
- Tony Kornheiser often plays the goof on PTI, but his classy part in the video reminds us of what a remarkable wordsmith he is.
- Chris Berman teaches us that 35 years is more that 1/3 of a century.
- Jay Williams’ description of Vitale is akin to how comedians would describe approval from Johnny Carson.
- Stephen A. Smith’s impersonation of Vitale turns into Vitale impersonating Stephen A. Smith.
- Fran Fraschilla enjoys double entendres.
Dickie V and college basketball have become synonymous with one another. Congratulations on the run, and we hope for many more AWESOME years with you, baby!